Surgical Technology - DE (AAS Completion Program)
This is a degree completion program. This program is designed for students who are currently Certified Surgical Technologists (CST) interested in obtaining their Associate degree in Surgical Technology.
The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Surgical Technology degree is a degree completion program for those who are currently Certified Surgical Technologists (CST) and graduates of an accredited certificate/diploma program in surgical technology/technologist. The Surgical Technology AAS program consists of two surgical technology or emphasis courses regarding surgical technology transitions and professional concepts plus the additional General Education courses required to achieve an associate degree. This program is delivered completely through distance education.
Admission to the Program
Students enrolled in the approved program must possess the following: A Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) credential, a certificate of completion/diploma in Surgical Technology, and a copy of the transcript for an accredited Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology (ARC-ST), Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) or Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) program. The student will be awarded 32 semester credit hours upon verification of the CST credential.
Upon completion, graduates will be prepared to:
- Implement current standards and trends in their surgical technology practice.
- Analyze the surgical technologist’s role in the healthcare arena.
- Evaluate advanced career paths for the surgical technologist for professional growth and continuing education.
- Assess trends and advances in surgical technology to determine ethical, legal and professional implications.
- Think critically about standards of care, healthcare environments, and professional behavior.
* An applicant who has a CST license in good standing with the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) and not revoked may be admitted with bridge status. Upon successful admission and verification of CST license the student will be awarded 32 semester credit hours.